Pages

Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Where I've Bin

It's been two weeks since my previous post. I had wanted to make this a religious weekly occurrence but it turns out my primary school teachers were right – I am far too easily distracted. But it's not like I've been wasting my time by throwing wet toilet roll on to ceilings or making desk forts now, I have put this time to good use and no, I don't mean been by getting a job either – employers are still far too ignorant to realise what a boner asset I will be to their organization – I've been redecorating.

What an asset... 

In fairness to myself, I have lost a bit of weight since that photo. But having spent a lot of time in the confides of my flat recently made me think it was about time to pull up my multi-function utility belt and drag my living room into the twenty-first century. Consequently the new found 'man time' gave me ample opportunity to think about my life and the world around me.

Taking down a plaster wall with moves I learnt from Mortal Kombat meant I had to frequently visit the dumpster that Brighton & Hove council have so graciously supplied on my road. On these frequent journeys what ceased to amaze me most was the amount of trash people have managed to miss the bin with, like the floor of a men's public toilet or the area surrounding Nicki Minaj's lips, it is completely covered in unwanted refuse. My whole road and much of Brighton looks like this and I believe this is a good example of how a small shortcoming on all of our parts amounts to a world of difference.

It stinks too...

The thing is, I wish I could walk around and feel inspired. I'm not completely saying I don't, there are small gracious acts of kindness that can be witnessed, but on the most part cities are like a knife and that knife is bleeding me dry.

The advertising, litter, plastic barbies with their plastic ken all have me hating again. People acting out the repetitive script that has become the routine of city life, for I know tomorrow the sun will rise and our streets will be as dirty and disgusting as our ambitions are large and shortsighted. We have become a race of people bemused by simple pleasures, where music has become entertainment and not art and the earth has become a theatre to our ever growing disregard to, well, everything! We seem to think that we are sophisticated and educated people, but I concur. Humanity's utter selfish regard for the earth and future generations is epoch to our downfall, highlighting the ever growing bulbacious pussing drench that our wants and needs have dug into the heart of our maker. The Great Pacific Garbage patch is something that everyone of should feel utterly ashamed. It floats there poisoning the water and marine life around it acting as a living example of how just a small fetes of carelessness but on a massive and very accepted level can lead to huge problems.

Plastic sea ridden dumpster the size of Texas

Though that be the most famed of the floating garbage islands, the Indian and Atlantic have also been illicitly indulged. Couple that with our grotesque smells and toxic fumes and the literal sweeping of the dust under the proverbial rug, pumping our planet and atmosphere with our failures for all future generations to suffer and question. Not to think of the deforestation and further change to local eco-systems that have led to the untimely death of species. Damn, all this to wear or use a product that advertising and social pressure has you bent over to use? We are certainly not sophisticated and definitely not divine and beautiful people. No amount of make-up or even self medicating will ever repair that gaping hole inside all of our souls. 

We can't blame consumerism for this and in fact there is no point in blame, it's a sign that something's got to give and something has got to change. No force of man will ever match the force of nature and so we need to oblige, for as humans we never really have our own piece of turf we just borrow it for the time being. Although I feel mega-organisations should do more to prevent these things, this isn't exactly where I feel we should be shamed. What is really bad is that we now know what an impact we are having on the earth and most of us don't even care. 

He cares

I'm not exactly a crusader for the environment and in most circumstances other than this blog I tend to keep my feelings on the world fairly close to my heart. But if you're one of these people who believe rallying for environmental, social, political or economic change is something for hippies and lazy low economic earners then i'm sorry but fuck you. Hope the next super-strain virus takes you out for the world needs people like this. People who act out on passion. I crave it like a junky to the spoon I can never have enough passion because it is only ever rare and fleeting and one of the purest things. It makes me feel alive and it makes me want to live. We have the free will to be good, so why not make something beautiful? Rather than what we quite typically do, which is choose the option that is easier but shallow and false?


The easy option... Wait? Isn't she black?

There is nothing pure and sacred anymore. I cannot look at any representation of modern culture that doesn't make me suspicious and cynical of a greater thing going on where I am not the one benefitting but callous stupidity will make me believe I am... for someone else's gain.

Accidentally drop a piece of litter on the floor? Then go pick it up. Simple. But it's amazing how many people can't keep their crap to themselves in a literal way. See someone drop a piece of litter? Hand that back to them and urge them to do something proper with it. I often find it helps to be condescending... I generally get better results that way. But in all seriousness if you want to:

Change the world? You better change yourself

For the sake of your soul and for the sake of mine. Do something that matters and make this moment count. Like I said in my previous post, exercise with every move the world you wish to live in and wait for the others to catch up. Do something pure, act out of passion and inspire.

Like our friend, the blue whale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment